Recipe review: Christmas with M&S
Wed 17 Dec 2014 - posted by Georgia Hathaway
Marks and Spencer gave me the ingredients for a Christmas recipe which really got me in the festive spirit – a Brussels sprouts, chicken and pecorino winter salad. My verdict? It was simple to prepare, quick to make and didn’t require many cooking skills – perfect after a long day at work or Christmas shopping. It looked appetising – fresh, tasty and plenty of greens. I’m a salad lover anyway but there’s a stir-fry feel to it which might appeal to those who prefer their veg warm. As for the taste, it was filling and super tasty – lots of crunchy textures and packed with flavour. A brilliant way to use up leftover sprouts for boxing day lunch perhaps?
Ready in 30 minutes, Serves 6
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 2 garlic cloves, sliced
• Pinch chilli flakes
• 4 spring onions, sliced
• 400g shredded sprouts or Brussels sprouts, trimmed and shredded
• 1 rotisserie whole roast chicken
• 25g blanched almonds, toasted and roughly chopped
• 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
• 1 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
• 60g watercress
• 25g pecorino, grated
• handful fresh basil leaves, torn
1. Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan. Add the garlic, chilli flakes and spring onions, and cook over a medium heat for 1 minute. Add the sprouts and stir fry for 4-5 minutes, until just tender. Remove from the heat and set aside.
2. Pull the meat from the chicken carcass and shred into bite-size pieces. Stir the chicken gently through the sprouts mixture, along with the almonds and some seasoning.
3. Whisk together the extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar, and drizzle over the chicken mixture. Add the watercress, mixing gently to combine. Transfer to a serving platter, then scatter over the pecorino and basil to serve.
356 calories, 25.4g fat (6.1g saturated), 5.5g carbohydrates, 3.3g sugar, 5.4g fibre, 26.3g protein, 0.98g salt
Check out more reviews, fashion and lifestyle at Fashion Oyster (www.fashionoysteruk.com)
- Lifestyle & Beauty
- Women's Fashion
- Men's Fashion
Sign up & know first what's hot!!
Be the first to hear to about exclusive offers & competitions, inspiration and styling tips for yourself and the home as well as what’s on the menu from our food outlets.
Be the first to hear about exclusive offers & everything "hot" at St Davids Cardiff